In an effort to help out independent craft stores and also continue to provide access to social distancing-friendly live mixed media classes, I've partnered with Artistic Artifacts in Alexandria, VA to bring you a live online workshop offered via private Facebook group.
Class was held April 24, 2021
Registration is now closed.
Registration is now closed.
Get ready to Make a Statement, mixed media style. In this workshop we'll combine jewelry making, stitching (optional,) and mixed media techniques to make one-of-a-kind pieces that will be sure to start conversations.
Not interested in making jewelry? No worries... the focus is on the techniques and creation of the components; I'll share some of how I turned them into necklaces, but if and how you choose to finish them and the final form of each piece will be up to you.
The three projects in this course make a statement in multiple ways: first, the unique appearance. Each piece also has a literal statement included in it in some way as we put our innermost thoughts and intentions into the work. Finally, we'll discuss how to incorporate supplies and create focal embellishments that tell your own story.
In the end, you'll have three pieces that can be turned into necklaces or make accessories or embellishments for bags, clothing, art journals, or other textile and mixed media projects.
- Upon registration and payment (handled by Artistic Artifacts,) you will receive a link to join our private Facebook group.
- Join in, meet, and interact with other students.
- About a week before the official live class there will be a pre-class video to demonstrate creating some of the elements to prepare for your projects. (This will be archived in the group if you can't join live.)
- The live, 2-1/2 hour class will be taught through a Facebook Live video in our private classroom.
- Work along with me and ask questions via posts and comments.
- 4 hours of live demos - that's the equivalent of a full day in-person workshop, plus the added feedback and community interaction.
- Get downloadable patterns for my fabric Obi beads as well as the talisman pouch.
- Learn fun dimensional mixed media techniques as you create your statement pieces.
- A coupon for either 10% off your order OR Free US Shipping for the Artistic Artifacts online shop (See FAQ for details)
- Videos, questions, comments, and projects are available indefinitely. You can re-watch later - as often as you'd like!
- Share photos of your in-progress and finished projects for feedback from me and other class members.
If there's anything on the supply list that you need or want (or you just want to browse and do some fun shopping!) head over to the Artistic Artifacts website for links to many of the supplies on this list.
Paper, Fabric, & Substrates:
Inks, Paints, Pens, etc...:
(Most of these are optional as you can pick and choose based on what you want to use to customize your projects. You do not need them all... you can also feel free to incorporate items not on this list.)
Artistic Artifacts carries amazing fabrics and unique finds and they ship globally. If you're local, their shop is open! (Check first for modified store hours and to book your shopping appointment online.) You can also call them to see if they have something you're looking for that you don't see in the online shop - they may be able to help you out.
Administrative Details & Class Policies:
Q: How long will the Facebook group be available after the Live video is over?
A: The group will remain open for you to re-watch the videos and ask questions indefinitely. All videos and posts will be archived and the group will not close.
Q: When will I get the coupon and how many times can I use it?
A: The coupon will be shared in the Facebook group after registration and the group have both been opened. Please do not share - these coupons are exclusive to class members and can only be used once per person. You can choose between 10% off your order OR free shipping (within the US.) The coupons cannot be combined. If you live outside of the US, please contact the shop as there is a different coupon. The offer is good through May 7, 2021.
Q: Can I register after the live class is over?
A: Registration will close shortly before the official class and you must be registered to access the group, so if you're interested, make sure to sign up before it starts. You can always watch later if you can't join live. (The store and I reserve the right to re-open the class later if there's sufficient interest.)
Q: When will I get access to the Facebook group?
A: Please allow 24-48 hours for Artistic Artifacts to process your registration and send you a group invitation. (Please contact the shop directly with any questions or difficulties in accessing the group.)