Bazaar Finds - Boho Essentials Slow Stitching Kit (6 Styles Available)
The Boho Essentials Slow Stitching Kit is a curated selection of lots of global eclectic textiles and slow stitching supplies, giving you everything you need to create your own boho slow stitching project, all in one box. It features trims, buttons, fabric, beads, threads, and more from Japan, Thailand, India, Guatemala, Turkey, Central Asia, and America plus some fun vintage finds.
As a note, these take weeks of work and time and effort (and supplies!) to assemble and make some of the components and the cost of the kit includes almost none of my time, so these will be the last ones that I do for a while. If and when I make more, the contents and format will be changed to something that will likely be of equal value at a reasonable price without taking quite so much time and effort on my part to produce. (I'm a one-woman show and I have a demanding full-time job, so that's crucial!) So once they're here, get them while you can!
I love working on slow stitching projects - hand stitching little pieces to use in artwork or to be viewed as artwork in and of themselves. I also love creating things like needlebooks, but using fabrics and embellishing them in my own boho style. Over the years I've amassed a huge stash of fabrics, trims, threads, and textile embellishments from all over the world, but I haven't ever been able to find all of the types of supplies I would want to use together to create a project all in one place - I have to buy the components separately, often from different shops (and many of those are scattered around the world!) So when I started on the concept of creating Boho Essentials kits, I knew that a selection of slow stitching kits in some of my favorite themes needed to be in the lineup.
This Bazaar Finds: Boho Essentials Kit comes with everything you need to create several projects or lots of global eclectic pieces to accent other creations. While I do my best to make sure that each kit has similar products and amounts of each product, please note that due to the nature of the products I include, no two kits are exactly alike and the contents will evolve and change over time depending on what I have on hand or can get from my suppliers. (All kits have a retail value at least $5 higher than the marked price.)
The slow stitching kit also comes in six varieties: Patterns & Motifs, Birds, Fish & Ocean, Butterflies, Flowers, and Elephants. All kits have the same types and amount of product, but there are some theme-based differences in each and the packaging may vary.
Here's a general content list of what's in the current set of kits (you can also check the photos for an idea of what you'll receive and differences between the kits as colors, patterns, and shapes will vary):
- 1 needle threader and three needles
- 1 John James Sharps needle, size 8
- 1 Bohin Tapestry needle, size 26 (fairly small eye as tapestry needles go)
- 1 Bohin Crewel embroidery needle, size 9
- 20 pieces of fabrics and textiles (most are 6" x 6" or larger, some are smaller)
- Includes French guipre from Africa, pieces of printed sarongs from Indonesia and Thailand, indigo batik fabric from Thailand, jacquard fabrics, sari scraps and Kantha pieces from India, and some vintage cottons and woven pieces, and lots more.
- 2 hand block-printed images, printed by me on dyable, unbleached muslin (I often use these as the basis for beaded embroidery.)
- 1 hand-poured beeswax thread-waxer (shapes to match the kits; Patterns & Motifs will have a dinosaur.)
- 2 skeins of hand-dyed embroidery floss (Week's Dye Works)
- 2 balls of DMC Pearl Cotton embroidery thread, size 8
- 1 yard each of vintage gold and silver leaf Japanese Kinkoma thread (from Japan, used for Goldwork embroidery - good for outlining with couching stitches.)
- Embossed medal embellishment "thread" from India on a small wood spool (this can be a bit fragile - good for outlining designs with couching stitches.)
- Thicker vintage Japanese or Indian embellishing thread on a small wooden spool.
- 2 mini wooden spools each with 3 - 5 yards of vintage metallic thread from Japan (length depends on the type of thread included.)
- 2 - 3 gram screw top plastic containers with sequins – these vary by kit (the Butterflies kit has one container and one packet of large iridescent butterfly sequins.)
- A ribbon card with 5-6 trims (these vary by kit)
- Premium trims (mainly embellished trims from India) or lace will have 1 foot each
- Grosgrain, burlap (great for stitching on!) and some silk trims will be 1 yard each
- A variety of smaller fabric pieces including sequined or embellished sari pieces or patches
- 1 small cork-capped jar full of glass seed and other thematic beads – some are metal (I love to add beads to my stitching)
- 1 package of buttons (printed wood, resin, and / or shell - varies based on the kit you choose)
- 1 crocheted mirror accent and 1 vintage Hmong star patch from Thailand
- Various additional patches and appliques including at least one from India